Published on 23/01/24
Year 12 student Hourmazd Z tells us all about the Classics Reading Competition at the University of Cambridge Faculty of Classics.
Last term students from across the Senior School and Sixth Form trooped down to the Cambridge Faculty of Classics to win honour and glory for themselves and the school.
All students who participated demonstrated excellent ability in reading the texts and everyone put on poised and expressive performances. All readings were highly eloquent and fluent, suited perfectly to the content of the texts.
Impressively the school managed to place in each category and come first in very many of them:
- Intermediate Latin Prose: William C (Highly Commended) & Marina K - Gold
- Intermediate Latin Verse: Jerome T-R & Alannah M - Silver
- Intermediate Greek Prose: Mia de G - Gold & Eric F - Silver
- Intermediate Greek Verse: Elliot S - Gold
- Senior Latin Prose: Florence B – Gold & Alison H - Silver
- Senior Latin Verse: Alison H - Gold & Ilaria S - Silver
- Senior Greek Prose: Dalia P - Gold & Ilaria S - Silver
- Senior Greek Verse: Amelie N-G - Gold & Hourmazd Z (Highly Commended)
A huge well done to everybody who took part; it was very clear at the competition just how hard everyone had worked on their performances. Every year it is a truly unique experience to see the classical languages come alive like this, and an important reminder that Classics is about much more than just memorising endings.
Finally, a huge thank you to Ms Jones who dedicated much time and effort into ensuring that everyone was as ready as could be for the competition.